Thursday, September 07, 2006

Crazy talk

Today at work a woman in my department that I deal with quite frequently was taken to the medical center because she was wandering around the company talking to herself. Usually she's one of the most down to earth, nicest and friendliest women I've had the pleasure of working with, especially compared to the other annoying, gossipy women on my floor. I knew nothing about her personal life, but this morning I noticed she had cut her hair off, dressed herself like she was coming from the soup kitchen, and was snapping at people which is completely out of character for her.

This is the second time this year someone has gone nuts in my department. Clearly there is something in the air.

It's a bit scary, seeing as though she could have had a stroke and no one whom she is close to even bothered to notice that she was not well enough to come to work. I get sad when I witness these situations. Who is caring for these people that need to be cared for? Where are her kids? And of course I always tie it back to myself. What if I'm still living by myself in twenty or thirty years and some wire snaps in the ol' head and there's no one to take me to the nearest psychiatric hospital? On second thought, maybe that's a good thing.

Anyhow, as you can guess, the gossipers are out in full force and I'm annoyed that what should be of genuine concern has turned into a soap opera. How many times a day can I mentally tell my coworkers to get a life? More than you can imagine, my friends. More than you can possibly imagine.

|