Monday, July 10, 2006

Returning to regularly scheduled life

Boy am I glad this world cup tournament is over. Now I can actually get work done done during the day instead of running from my desk to the bar across the street, checking voice mail at halftime, and coming back to my desk only to be way too pumped to do anything. Frankly, it's been a big distraction and I am relieved to have my life back. But as were all of the world cups I've seen since I followed my first one while living in Spain when I was 16, I was addicted to the excitement, the nerves, the beautiful plays, goals and analyzing the different styles of each team.

As for the final, I didn't really have a favorite team, although since I despise Barthez I was glad to see him get tortured on those penalty kicks. All in all it was an exciting game which was a pleasant surprise for a World Cup final. And of course everyone is talking about Zidane's headbutt. After some discussion amongst my friends as to what could have upset Zidane so much, (did he insult his mom? his wife? give him a purple nurple?) it seems the latest rumor is the Italian defender Materazzi called Zidane a 'dirty terrorist', although he denies it.

I was quite disappointed in ZZ. Surely there is nasty name calling in every big game, and soccer is a mental sport almost as much as it is a physical one. I'm suprised a man with that much experience and talent would himself get that emotional at the most crucial time in the game. It's certainly not the first time it's happened (Beckham's red card in 1998, Rooney's kick to the groin against Portugal, to name a few). But regardless, Zidane will be remembered as one of the greatest players in the world. And there are fun computer games to play now! (Left click to head butt).

UPDATE: Apparently Zidane fell for the oldest trick in the book when he reacted violently to insults about his mother and sister from the Italian defense player, Materazzi. Somehow this whole thing seems very anti-climactic. I thought the insult would at least be creative. But your mom is a whore and her daughter is also whore? Like, who hasn't heard that a million times on the playground?

|