Monday, February 18, 2008

Angelika sucks but see Persepolis

I really dislike the Angelika Film Center even though I am there all of the time. It's one of those art house movie theatres that has a really good concept; there is a cafe upstairs serving all kinds of treats that are both healthy and crappy, there is a good selection of films, and there is a large waiting area with couches so you can show up a bit early and read some film reviews. But at the same time, the place always reeks of nauseating cleaning fluid, the bathrooms are disgusting, the seating is cramped, the seats are low, you can't see shit when someone taller than 5'5" sits in front of you, you can actually feel the vibration from the subway rumbling past every eight minutes, and did I mention the place stinks? The only reason I go there is because Aroma cafe is across the street, one of my favorite cafes in the city, so I linger with a cappuccino while I pick out the movie I want to see.

Today I did this and decided on Persepolis, which I was blown away by. This is coming from a person that has little to no tolerance for animation. I was bored to death sitting through that annoying Ratatouille movie, for example. But Persepolis, with much simpler animation and no color was able to wonderfully depict a story that uniquely combines the struggle against Islamic Fundamentalism and a coming-of-age story of a woman trying to find her place in a world she feels she doesn't belong in. See this movie now.

|