Thursday, July 05, 2007

Defriended

I'm in the midst of 'breaking up' with a friend. I've never broken up with a friend before since I tend to forgive and forget very easily. As long as I know they are a good person at heart, I usually get over most stupid and thoughtless actions. But I guess this an exception because I do think this person has a good heart and genuinely good intentions. However, she possesses a certain character flaw that I cannot deal with which is, in my eyes, not being able to associate right from wrong.

I know this is kind of vague and subjective, but I've recently found it very interesting/disgusting how many aspects of a person's life this can bleed into. It starts from having sympathy for a stabber who gets convicted, to Palestinians who just can't lead a normal life, to an acquaintance of ours who has clear malicious intent. It has never ceased to amaze how many excuses a person can come up with for acts of hate/violence/non violent misbehavior.

For me it's less a feeling of anger. The logic that leads to this sympathy is so foreign to me, and it gets to the point that no matter how much fun I can have with this person, there's only so much I can relate to before I get extremely confused, like I'm lost in a maze and I'm not sure how to get out. It's an odd reaction, but it's the best way I can describe the feeling of not wanting to associate with a person anymore.

|