Friday, April 24, 2009

It's like i don't even recognize you anymore

god I'm sick of this 'going green' sh*t. Last night I was wandering around my old stomping grounds - Avenue A where Peter and I used to party till the break of dawn and then at sunrise get potato perogies at odessa's. There was this cafe we loved called Alt coffee right next door. I brought lots of visitors there because it was a great place to catch up on a Sunday, had lots freakos and of course great coffee.

One Sunday about six months ago I went back but it just wasn't the same. I was talking on my cell phone and the barista came up to me and flashed a sign that said 'no talking on the cell phone'. WTF? Can a cafe really do that? Tell you not to talk on the phone?

Then last night I realized it was completely renovated and under new ownership and is now an organic/eco friendly/sustainable/green/recycable/biodegradable friendly cafe/store. Seriously. It says that on the window. One of those places where people feel really good about themselves because they bought a change purse made out of plastic that would have otherwise ended up at a landfill. I had to text Peter the news.

Me: Alt coffee is now an organic/eco friendly /sustainable/green/recycable/biodegradable friendly cafe/store.
Peter: That's good to know. Happy belated earth day.

|